Has the recent flurry of Google Ranking fluctuations robbed you off all the joy and happiness that is there is in this world? Google Ranking system is a complex mechanism that is sometimes hard to get a grasp of. You’d think ‘A’ might be the reason but the reason could entirely be ‘B’. Or worse, it could be a combination of both. And worst, some other factors you might not have given a second thought to. But you are here, so you can check in your speculations at the door and take a deep dive with us into just what might be upsetting the balance.
- Surprising as it is, there might by some problems with the tracking tool itself. It happens more than you’d think it does. So it would be a good idea to check with different tools over a few days before hitting the panic button and start pursuing corrective measures with a blindfold on.
- Check the latest news on whether there has been any major algorithm update in the recent past. It is possible that the fluctuations or a drop or even sudden jumps may be due to it. If that is the case, it is best not to do anything. Just sit out and let the update roll out completely and then re-evaluate.
- Take into consideration any major changes your website may have gone through in the last couple of days. Did you move your website from HTTP to HTTPS? Was there any involuntary downtime your website experienced recently, or any content deletion or updating it in bulk?
- Go through Search Console statistics to confirm you haven’t received any penalty, manual or otherwise. A lot of times, major fluctuations in a website’s rankings are simply due to a penalty or penalties that the user may have failed to notice. If so, take immediate action to get it removed.
- Are the keywords you are trying to rank for highly competitive? If so then that may be the reason. And it may be happening to almost every website trying to secure high rankings for that query. Your best bet is to modify the keyword query around the target but make it less competitive, if possible.
- Ask yourself if you are operating outside the norms of Google’s guidelines? That means engaging in Black Hat SEO tactics like content or link farms, or simply engaging in unlawful link spamming activities to strip another website off its legit high ranks and traffic.
- And it’s possible that those same Black Hat SEO tactics might have been used to attack you by a competitor in order to gain undue advantage. There are numerous other tactics used against you to put a dent in your Google Rankings. One of dealing with it is by performing an extensive link audit.
If you’ve gone through all of the above steps and still feel that none of them quite seems to be reason for the fluctuations you’ve been experiencing of late then you must humbly admit that what you are offering is simply not relevant or engaging enough and you need to reform your entire strategy. But in case it is one of the above reasons then you can follow this post from us for an elaborative ranking-correction action plan.